Sunday 29 May 2011

We have Growth


Well I can't believe it!!!! My runner beans are growing. I was very shocked as I put the canes in next to them and was amazed that literally over night they grabbed hold of the canes and started wrapping themselves around them.

The lettuce, rocket and tomatoes are also doing well. Not sure about the carrots and onions as they are all underground and not allot is happening above ground.


My eldest daughter has now gone from nervous rider to bragging about the number of falls she has had and jumping bare back!! Well we all want for our children what we didn't have and I wanted a little pony in my garden from as far back as I can remember. I didn't get my first horse until I was a teenager but really missed out on those early years as both my parents were city folk. I am loving watching a bond form with the pony and my daughter, the little pony even trots down to meet her and they both scratch each other and they mutually enjoy the plaiting sessions.

It all sounds idyllic doesn't it? Well you will be surprised when I was asked the other day by a mum my thoughts about getting a pony and my answer " don't do it". My reason, me the mum wants and likes horses so when daughter is off doing other things I am left to poo pick and exercises pony. The winter was a very lonely time for me and the horses as it was mostly me doing the feeds etc.

I do it because I love the horses and the outdoor life with my dogs running round me. I tried in my early 20's to be an Urban chick in a white flat with white walls but I was bored to the point of depressed. Mind you days do pass especially in winter and I wish I had my horse money to spend on myself. But I know shopping and coffee wouldn't be enough for me, were all different and the outdoor life is for me.

So unless the parents are into riding and the daily routine of horses I feel it would be too much of a lifestyle change. My other reason is kids grow out of horses like bikes and unless you are like a lady I once knew ( she had a barn full of stables and the first one had the daughters first pony in and the ponies got gradually bigger as you went round the barn) Then you will need to sell one and buy another or get two!!!

There are lots of people out there that want children to ride their ponies which I think is a much better option as the non horsey parents can dip in and out when they want. To be fair the above applies to all pets if the parent doesn't want the pet don't get it as children rarely look after them day in day out or long term.

Well I am hoping at some point to get away in our caravan during half term as we need to get it off the drive and test bits out before we tug it 2000 miles to the south of France. I'm sure we will clear any campsite with our 5 dogs and two girls!!!

We will be selling our lovely caravan when we get home as we just don't get the opportunities to get away in it as we used to and the UK weather is pants. I want two hot holidays a year and plenty of time to relax. So we will be going back to cruising next year as the girls love it and are getting a bit older so need more entertainment on holiday which a cruise offers for all of us. Have a great half term
If it is not for you

No comments:

Post a Comment